In light of the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreaks and other concerns throughout the region and beyond, and questions from many different sources, we’ll attempt to address as many as we can here for you. Please help us in spreading the word, here as well as on Region Q social media (Facebook in particular).
In Leadership, Friendship, and Service,
Region Q Chair
Last updated March 12, 2020 9:30 p.m.
Here are some precautions that they are recommending:
- Because of the amount of contact involved, all Achieve courses for the spring term have been cancelled, effective immediately.
- Avoiding group activities that involve close or direct contact
- Do not form a fellowship circle to sing the Toast Song at this time
- Please keep up to date and abide by campus policies during this time. Many campuses are restricting the size of in-person gatherings. Their rules supersede our traditions and attention to local conditions is important to prevent the spread. (Remember – just because you’re healthy doesn’t mean you can’t carry it to someone else.)
- In light of the cancellation of in-person classes and large events effective March 19, 2020 through the end of the Spring 2020 semester across all SUNY and CUNY campuses, including our Spring 2020 Section Conference host, Fredonia – the Spring 2020 tri-sectional conference has been cancelled. Please stay tuned for further details on refunds as well as remote elections and the sharing of important information that would have taken place at that conference.
Frequently Asked Questions
What about Serve?
The Hartford, CT APO LEADS Serve course has been cancelled, and registered attendees will receive a refund. Please check your email for more information.
What can you do to protect yourself?
Please continue to clean your hands thoroughly, and refrain from touching your face, eyes, nose, and mouth. If you haven’t gotten your flu shot yet, please do so! Flu season is still ongoing, and a vaccine will increase your chances of protection from strains included in the vaccine. The CDC website has much, much more information.
What about sectionals?
In light of the cancellation of in-person classes and large events effective March 19, 2020 through the end of the Spring 2020 semester across all SUNY and CUNY campuses, including our Spring 2020 Section Conference host, Fredonia – the conference has been cancelled. As soon as details for the virtual region meeting and section chair elections are ready they will be distributed. Anticipate that meeting to happen near the weekend of the originally scheduled conference, and more details will come out soon about how that will work.
Please, be in contact with your section chair and regional and sectional volunteers about your chapter’s plans during this time.
What about section chair voting / conference bids?
We’re in the process of finding secure alternatives for remote voting for our delegates. We will find an alternative means for voting on incoming section chairs and conference bids for Spring 2021. More on this soon.
What about the Region Q Meeting?
We will be having an online region meeting in place of the Spring 2020 conference. This will include updates, reminders, upcoming events, section chair elections, as well as conference bids for Spring 2021 as mentioned before.
But what about our new members? Or Spring reporting deadlines?
At this time, please operate under the assumption that all reporting deadlines will remain unchanged. I would urge you to find ways to be creative and lenient with your process this semester if in-person meetings are disrupted. Your school administration may have other guidance forthcoming on how this should be handled as well to be compatible with their own restrictions – but I would expect that you can make up any temporary deficiencies caused by the disruption after the semester if needed. Be flexible, be attentive to your brothers’ and new members’ needs, and be safe first and foremost.
Please, please, be in touch with regional and sectional volunteers as to your chapter’s plans and situation. We are here to help you as much as we are able.
Stay safe and healthy, friends. We’re here for you!
Region Q Chair